Country Summary: Australia

Australia has a complex immigration system and all non-citizens of Australia require a visa to enter, remain or work in Australia. Ultimately, the Department of Immigration expects that Australian employers to ensure that all foreign employees hold the appropriate visa and that they only undertake permitted activities in line with visa conditions.

The Subclass 600 Visa is a standard business visitor visa and it allows foreign nationals to engage in certain defined business activities in Australia. Engaging in work or services is prohibited under this visa.

The Subclass 400 Visa is available to foreign nationals who intend to perform short-term, specialized work or attend an event of less than three months' duration.

The Subclass 457 Visa is the principal work authorization category in Australia. This visa requires employer sponsorship and has more stringent requirements than the Subclass 600 and Subclass 400 Visas. The Subclass 457 Visa is valid up to four years and subsequent Subclass 457 Visas may be granted if an employee is required in Australia for a longer duration. It may also be possible for employees to apply for permanent residence if they have held a Subclass 457 Visa for two years.

Note that processing of Subclass 400 and 600 Visas varies depending on the applicant's nationality and country of residence.

Detailed Country Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.

To view all Country Summaries, please click here.

The information on this page may have been provided by a contributor to ChinaGoAbroad, and ChinaGoAbroad makes no guarantees about the accuracy of any content. All content shall be used for informational purposes only. Contributors must obtain all necessary licenses and/or ownership rights from the relevant content owner(s) before submitting such content (including texts, pictures, photos and diagrams) to ChinaGoAbroad for publication. ChinaGoAbroad disclaims all liability arising from the publication of any content/information (such as texts, pictures, photos and diagrams that infringe on any copyright) received from contributors. Links may direct to third party sites out of the control of ChinaGoAbroad, and such links shall not be considered an endorsement by ChinaGoAbroad of any information contained on such third party sites. Please refer to our Disclaimer for more details.