ITALY - foreign nationals allowed in Italy for professional training courses and internships 2020/2022


Every 3 years The Ministry of Labor and Social Policies, in agreement with the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, sets the number of foreign citizens who can obtain a study visa to enter Italy for the purpose of attending professional training courses and internships.

2020/2022 numbers

For the years 2020/2022, the numbers are as follows (Inter ministerial decree 09/07/2020):

  • 7500 units for attending professional training courses of maximum 24 months duration, organized by accredited training institutions in accordance with each regional regulation. The training program must be relevant to the studies performed in the country of origin and finalised to obtaining a qualification or attestation in Italy. The applicant must register or pre-register at the course having the necessary requirements. The application for visa (study visa) is filed directly at the Italian consulate abroad
  • 7500 units for carrying out training and orientation internships aimed at completing a professional training course started in the country of origin, sponsored by accredited entities (regional law applies). The application for visa (study visa) is filed directly at the Italian consulate abroad; applicants must submit an internship project (Progetto Formativo e di Orientamento), prepared by the Italian host company (Soggetto Ospitante) and formally approved by the relevant Regional Office (Soggetto Promotore) on the basis of an existing agreement (Convenzione di Tirocinio). Each Italian Region has specific rules for internship and for preparing the internship plan. Depending on the region where the company is located, the internship project must be prepared according to the local regulation.

The information on this page may have been provided by a contributor to ChinaGoAbroad, and ChinaGoAbroad makes no guarantees about the accuracy of any content. All content shall be used for informational purposes only. Contributors must obtain all necessary licenses and/or ownership rights from the relevant content owner(s) before submitting such content (including texts, pictures, photos and diagrams) to ChinaGoAbroad for publication. ChinaGoAbroad disclaims all liability arising from the publication of any content/information (such as texts, pictures, photos and diagrams that infringe on any copyright) received from contributors. Links may direct to third party sites out of the control of ChinaGoAbroad, and such links shall not be considered an endorsement by ChinaGoAbroad of any information contained on such third party sites. Please refer to our Disclaimer for more details.