- In H1 2013, 439 deals worth US$ 84.6bn took place in mainland China & Hong Kong, up 12.6% from the corresponding period last year (US$ 75.1bn, 376 deals)
- The value of M&A activity in mainland China & Hong Kong accounted for 44.1% of aggregate M&A in Asia, a fourth successive annual increase in this proportion
- The largest transaction in the region featured a US$ 9.7bn jointventure between Beijing Guolian Energy Industry Investment Fund, Taikang Asset Management and PetroChina, in which PetroChina contributed its pipeline assets in western China
- Deal value and deal count in Q2 2013 (US$ 50.1bn, 247 deals) rose by 45.2% and 28.6% compared to Q1 2013 (US$ 34.5bn, 192 deals)
- Inbound acquisitions in mainland China and Hong Kong increased by 42.4% in value (US$ 8.8bn, 74 deals) from H1 2012 (US$ 6.1bn, 76 deals)
- Outbound M&A (US$ 37.3bn, 97 deals) jumped 70.7% and 14.1% by both value and deal count, respectively, compared to H1 2012 (US$ 21.9bn, 85 deals). This represented the most active first half ever seen on Mergermarket record (since 2001)
- The Consumer sector (US$ 12.8bn, 48 deals) contributed 15.2% to total M&A value in 2013. It was up 719.6% by value from H1 2012 (US$ 1.6bn, 34 deals) and marked the highest-ever H1 tally on Mergermarket record
- Morgan Stanley led the Financial Advisor rankings by value (US$ 17.9bn, 8 deals), an increase of 602.4% from H1 2012. UBS Investment Bank climbed atop the deal count table by advising on 14 deals worth US$ 14.8bn
- King & Wood Mallesons bagged 19 deals worth US$ 13.3bn to finish as the leading Legal Advisor by number of mandates. Fangda Partners topped the Legal Advisor League Table by value with deals totalling US$ 16.8bn
M&A Trend: China & Hong Kong
Click to download Mergermarket's full report: "Mainland China & Hong Kong M&A Trend Report: H1 2013".
The information on this page may have been provided by a contributor to ChinaGoAbroad, and ChinaGoAbroad makes no guarantees about the accuracy of any content. All content shall be used for informational purposes only. Contributors must obtain all necessary licenses and/or ownership rights from the relevant content owner(s) before submitting such content (including texts, pictures, photos and diagrams) to ChinaGoAbroad for publication. ChinaGoAbroad disclaims all liability arising from the publication of any content/information (such as texts, pictures, photos and diagrams that infringe on any copyright) received from contributors. Links may direct to third party sites out of the control of ChinaGoAbroad, and such links shall not be considered an endorsement by ChinaGoAbroad of any information contained on such third party sites. Please refer to our Disclaimer
for more details.