Country Summary: Switzerland

Switzerland's immigration system encompasses mechanisms for temporary stays for business visitors, students, highly skilled workers and intracompany transfers, among others. It also provides means for permanent residence, usually after a qualifying period of temporary stay. Switzerland is a federal state divided into 26 cantons. Each canton is responsible for interpreting and enforcing the federal immigration law.

A Business (Entry) Visa is required for foreign nationals who will conduct approved business visitor activities for up to 90 days in a 180-day period (total stay limit permitted throughout the entire Schengen Area) or who will conduct work activities for up to eight cumulative days per calendar year.

Switzerland’s employment-based temporary residence in Switzerland features three main categories determined by nationality and payroll/contract location: (1) EU/European Economic Area (EEA) Local Hires (excluding Croatian nationals), which includes the L Permit, B Permit or G Permit for local employment of more than 3 months; (2) Non-EU/EEA Local Hires, which includes the L Permit, B Permit or, in some cases, the G Permit, for local employment of more than 3 months; and (3) Assignments, which includes the L Permit and B Permit for both EU/EEA and third-country nationals remaining on home payroll and contract.

Employers seeking to hire intracompany transferees, high-level executives/investors, and highly qualified persons for non-EU/EEA nationals under categories 2 and 3 must conduct a partial labor market test. For other categories of workers under categories 2 and 3, the employer must conduct a complete labor market test, which requires compliance with an annual quota for employment of more than four months.

Generally, permanent residence permits (C Permits) can be obtained after 10 years of residence in Switzerland (five years for EU/EEA nationals).

Note that Switzerland strictly enforces minimum salary requirements and, for intracompany transfers, the requirement that the foreign national has been employed with the corporate group for at least 12 months. The general work permit quotas in Switzerland are split between the cantons and the federal authority. Registered unmarried partners (same- or opposite-sex) qualify as dependents.

Detailed Country Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.

To view all Country Summaries, please click here

The information on this page may have been provided by a contributor to ChinaGoAbroad, and ChinaGoAbroad makes no guarantees about the accuracy of any content. All content shall be used for informational purposes only. Contributors must obtain all necessary licenses and/or ownership rights from the relevant content owner(s) before submitting such content (including texts, pictures, photos and diagrams) to ChinaGoAbroad for publication. ChinaGoAbroad disclaims all liability arising from the publication of any content/information (such as texts, pictures, photos and diagrams that infringe on any copyright) received from contributors. Links may direct to third party sites out of the control of ChinaGoAbroad, and such links shall not be considered an endorsement by ChinaGoAbroad of any information contained on such third party sites. Please refer to our Disclaimer for more details.