Construction of the railway section between the Port of Montevideo and the city of Paso de los Toros, applying the highest safety standards based on the best European practices. This project is part of the development of Uruguay in the Agribusiness sector and as a regional logistics hub. In turn, this project takes momentum with the logistical needs arising from what would be the potential construction of a third pulp mill in the surroundings of the city of Paso de los Toros.
The Central Railway project is a significant step in the framework of the transport infrastructure program the country is developing to strengthen its logistics platform, for its complementarities with the truck and the port system and its influence in the territory as a viability factor of productive enterprises, due to their greater competitiveness and sustainability. In addition, this project will support territorial cohesion, promoting social inclusion and an enhanced life quality.
The Ministry of Transport and Public Works through an agreement signed with AFE will be responsible for the execution of this project. The present project will be developed through the methodology of private public participation. The Convention governs throughout the Design, Construction and 22 years of Maintenance process.
• DESIGN, know the current state of the railroad, the characteristics of the terrain, the logistics and legal and environmental framework conditions to perform an adequate and efficient design of the new railway considering the technical aspects specified in the technical bases and the period of 22 years of maintenance. The Contractor will be provided with advanced elements of the technical solutions to be applied but it should still be the technicians of the Contractor who do the detailed engineering of the project or manage the variants required by the project in specific cases.
• FINANCE, obtain the financing of the Works to reach the required level of service and will be able to access the annual availability payment (AP) that the Employer will make based on the level of services of the railroad quarterly evaluated.
• BUILD, perform the tasks of Building of the railway and associated civil works to bring the infrastructure to the levels of service required in the technical report. Tests shall be carried out to verify the correct functioning of all systems, in particular those related to railway safety.
• MAINTAIN, perform the tasks of Construction of the railway and associated civil works to bring the infrastructure to the levels of service required in the technical report.
EXPECTED RAILWAY STANDARD
The design and construction of the railway infrastructure (either new or to be renewed) will be implemented in accordance with European standards and European technical specifications of interoperability for the infrastructure subsystem of the conventional railway system (TSI).
• Gauge: 1435 mm
• Minimum curve radius urban area 600 m EN 13803
• Minimum curve radius rural area 800 m EN 13803
• Slope 15 0/oo max. 20 0/oo
• Bridges according to Eurocode 1 – 9 / LM71-25
• Ton/axle: 22,5
• Freight Train type according to TSI F2
• Design speed: 80 km/h
• Passenger train type according to TSI P5
• Average speed: 60 km/h
• Train Length type up to 770 m
• Signaling and Control System according to EN 50128 - EN 50129 standard and related
• Track availability= 100%
• Operation time = 24/7
Availability payment, regardless of existing traffic AP = Value of the offer, adjusted based on the level of effective availability and quality of infrastructure status. Adjustment criteria defined in technical bases:
• Response to incidents or events
• Integral Management of Infrastructure
POTENTIAL CARGOES AND OPERATIONS
This infrastructure will allow the transport of 4.5 million tons a year in the central corridor of the country, connecting the inland from the north with Montevideo to a competitive deep water export port, increasing the export competitiveness of the national industry, while developing the traffic of passengers. The main cargoes to be transported are:
• Chemical Products
• General Cargo
• Passengers in the Southern section initially
• Other cargoes and services