Coming to Australia: Visas and Immigration

There is a wide range of Australian business visas for investors looking to set up a business in Australia and for employer-sponsored workers.

Regulatory arrangements can change from time-to-time. Potential investors and workers should review the information provided in the website links below to obtain current information.

Visas for business people

There are a number of visa options for people seeking to conduct short business visits, establish a business in Australia, manage a new or existing business, or invest in Australia.

For further information see the Department of Immigration and Citizenship: Business People – Visa Options.

Visas for employer-sponsored workers

The Australian Government provides visas for businesses to sponsor and employ skilled workers who have recognised qualifications and skills or experience in particular occupations required in Australia.

For further information see the Department of Immigration and Citizenship: Employer Sponsored Workers.

Employer-sponsored labour agreements

Where an employer seeks to employ overseas workers for occupations that are not on the list of approved occupations for regular business visas, and a genuine skills shortage exists, there is an option for the employer to establish a formal labour agreement with the Australian Government. This enables the employment of overseas workers on temporary and/or permanent visas.

Employer-sponsored labour agreements are directly negotiated with Australian Government agencies, and are generally effective for two to three years.

For further information see the Department of Immigration and Citizenship: Employee- Sponsored Workers – Labour Agreements.

Compare visa options

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship provides a number of summary tables showing the key aspects and differences between visa types.

To access the tables, see the Department of Immigration and Citizenship: Visa Options Comparison Charts.

Seek advice

Please note: This guide is intended to assist you in finding the relevant information and to give you a starting point for discussion with advisers. This guide does not eliminate the need for professional advice. It is strongly recommended that you use professional advisers to advise you on legal, compliance and tax matters.

The information on this page may have been provided by a contributor to ChinaGoAbroad, and ChinaGoAbroad makes no guarantees about the accuracy of any content. All content shall be used for informational purposes only. Contributors must obtain all necessary licenses and/or ownership rights from the relevant content owner(s) before submitting such content (including texts, pictures, photos and diagrams) to ChinaGoAbroad for publication. ChinaGoAbroad disclaims all liability arising from the publication of any content/information (such as texts, pictures, photos and diagrams that infringe on any copyright) received from contributors. Links may direct to third party sites out of the control of ChinaGoAbroad, and such links shall not be considered an endorsement by ChinaGoAbroad of any information contained on such third party sites. Please refer to our Disclaimer for more details.